This is a vintage 1957 Silvertone 1303 electric guitar. Identical in every respect to the Danelectro model U2 (aside from the proprietary headstock shape) this particular peanut (small) body example, serial number 2027, is a great instrument for the vintage player on a budget. This iconic single cutaway guitar is one of the absolute coolest guitars of the ’50s, and is a must have for both players and collectors. This example has been refinished, and features many reissue parts, so it will be far cheaper than an all original, and is bound to be a great bargain.
This classic single-cutaway Les Paul design-influenced Silvertone features:
– A hollowbody construction from Masonite and Poplar
– (2) reissue Lipstick pickups
– Non-original stacked reissue CTS pots
– Coke-bottle style headstock (Slightly different variation from Danos)
– Concentric tone and volume controls (new reissues)
– Chrome-plated steel bridge with adjustable Rosewood saddle (original)
– Original white vinyl binding
– Original open gear 3-on-a-side tuning machines
– Original clear plastic pickguard
This guitar works well, however, being as it is a project, undoubtedly some adjustmensts will need to be made. The action is slightly high, which can easily be resolved via a setup because the neck is perfectly straight. It also needs new strings, as those currently installed are old and oxidized.